Frank Brush Barn | 239 E Main St
Clinton Darling, who was Town undertaker, built the Frank Brush Barn in 1900. It originally housed the horses and wagons used for funerals and for transporting equipment needed to fight fires. The Society moved the Barn from Landing Avenue in 1988. It is our community facility, used by groups fostering interest in preserving customs of the past such as contra-dance, music recitals, workshops, and lectures.
The Franklin O. Arthur Farm, ca. 1740
The Franklin O. Arthur Farm | 245 Middle Country Road
This house and its outbuildings offer a glimpse into Long Island’s agricultural past. The front section dates from the early 18th century. In the 19th century the northeast corner addition & several other alterations were made. In the early 20th century a new north wing considerably enlarged the house. Notable outbuildings are the 19th century barn & carriage house.
Judge John Lawrence Smith Homestead, ca. 1750
Judge John Lawrence Smith Homestead | 05 Middle Country Road
Originally built by the Blydenburghs, this structure was purchased by Judge Smith as his family home and office. As his health failed Court was moved from Riverhead and cases were tried in his personal chambers. Finished as it would have appeared during the Judge’s ownership, this house is currently used for school programs and educational events.
The Obadiah Smith House, ca. 1700
The Obadiah Smith House | 853 St. Johnland Road
Bequeathed to Obadiah, a grandson of the Patentee Richard Smith, this is the first house built on the west side of the Nissequogue River. This house has been preserved as an architectural study, which stands as a surviving example of early Long Island structures incorporating both Dutch and English building traditions.
Old Smithtown Library, ca. 1890
Old Smithtown Library | 239 E Main St
The Old Library is a one-room facility, which was Smithtown’s Lending Library around 1890. It contains a collection of books, a desk, one chair, and a pot-bellied stove.
The Roseneath Cottage, ca.1918
The Roseneath Cottage| 239 E Main St
Our new headquarters, is located at 239 Middle Country Road on the historic Rockwell fields. It is the Society’s most recent acquisition. Built in 1918, the arts and crafts bungalow is under a process of complete restoration and renovation at this time. Once the project is completed, the cottage will serve as a new educational facility and the heart of the Society’s operations on the 20-acre parcel of land on Middle Country Road.
The Caleb Smith House, ca. 1819
Caleb Smith House | 5 North Country Road
This early 18th Century House was built in two stages reaching completion in 1819. In 1955 the dwelling was moved from its original Commack location on Jericho Turnpike to its present site in Smithtown. Former Headquarters for the Smithtown Historical Society, this building now serves as the Society’s exhibition hall displaying a large collection of decorative arts, textiles, costumes and documents.
The Epenetus Smith Tavern, ca. 1740
The Epenetus Smith Tavern | 211 Middle Country Road
Built before the Revolutionary War, this structure originally stood just west of the juncture of Middle Country & North Country Roads. This site was a popular stop on the Brooklyn to Sag Harbor stagecoach route during the 1770s, and during the Revolutionary War, the house often played host to British soldiers. Moved twice before in 1911 & 1921, it found its current destination in 1972 one half mile from its original location. While this structure’s oldest parts date to the 17th century, the main portion was built about 1740. The Tavern was also altered during the 19th and 20th centuries but has kept its Colonial integrity.